Thursday, August 4, 2011

Heat Wave

I feel like we might well look back on this summer as the best summer of our lives. Which is saying a lot.

But it's sort of how I always dreamed life could be, only without the money I might have imagined. Not that I ever imagined I'd be rich, but you know, when you're 18 you figure that by the time you're 38 you won't be budgeting for the eight dollars you'd like to spend on lipgloss. We're still broke, maybe broker than ever, but we're making the best of it.

My husband figures if we're spending the money to keep the pool in chemicals, we better be using it almost every day in order to get our money's worth. But after awhile the three of us get bored with each other, so we've been inviting people over to swim, sometimes to have dinner, sometimes to have an all-out-we-think-we're-21 style bash. At least three or four nights a week, there's someone visiting, some action in the pool, possibly someone falling down after attempting a lively Sally O'Malley impersonation.

Also, this has been the hottest summer on record since like 1984, which is just how I like it. That's right, I said I like it. The temp is over 110? BRING IT. My husband may well beat me later tonight for saying so, since I work in an air conditioned and windowless basement room, and he schleps beer in the heat and drives an un-airconditioned truck around 12 hours a day. But yes, for the most part, I like it. A heat wave gives everything a sort of hazy appearance. It's like I'm looking through Jell-O at my summer. It's like we're shooting a party film in the 1970's. Every time I see someone attempt a flip off the diving board and land flat on his back, I get a twinge of immeasurable joy. Yep, I think to myself, this is what I'm talking about.

Most of the time, I'm exhausted. I'm working over 50 hours a week, trying in vain to work on our house, keep up with laundry, cooking, groceries, and bills, and I'm chasing a toddler. BUT THAT DOES NOT STOP ME. I invite 20 people over on a random Friday night, and I watch them chat and play through tired eyes, always happy to have them.

I may not have new furniture yet (ever?) and maybe the house isn't really ready for a spread in Apartment Therapy, but I'm trying to be okay with that. I'm trying to remember that I'm having the Best Summer Ever, and that beautiful new throw pillows won't make it any happier than it already is.

0 comments:

Post a Comment