Thursday, June 20, 2013

Baby 2, Letter 10

Dear Lily,

You turned five months old this week and you are the size of a three year old.  No, seriously, you're kind of giant.  You're gorgeous and robust and strong.  You can sit up with very little help and you look like you're going to take off crawling across the room any minute - the right lure just hasn't shown up yet to make you get moving.  Your EXPANSIVE wardrobe saddens me - I know you'll never get to wear all the 3 - 6 month stuff before you outgrow it.  I'm maniacally shoving you into three, four, five outfits a day just so I can see you in everything before we have to hand it down.

You're nothing short of amazing.  Starting a little over a week ago, you sleep through the night.  10 hours straight, in the crib, quiet.  THANK YOU.  Let me say it again: THANK YOU.  In this hectic life we live, the fact that you are a happy baby who likes to sleep? Priceless.  I am going to go buy you that pony now.

I had to give you a little haircut awhile back, because Sister, you were rocking a mullet. A rather grand and serious mullet.  Which if you were a teenage boy in Topeka, KS in 1984, that would have been more awesome than bacon-wrapped hot dogs, but since you are a pretty girl in 2013, it had to go.  I do not know anyone who has given their four month old a haircut except me, but welcome to your mother's crazy. I couldn't stand it.  So now your hair is simply adorable, dark and plentiful without trying to be ironically retro. Don't worry - I saved a snip of it in your baby book.  Because that is not weird at all.  NOT WEIRD I SAID.

Of course, everyone loves you, probably me most of all, though your father begs to differ.  Please do not let this go to your head.  I will still not let you borrow the car, and no one is buying you beer before you're 21.

I drag you around to as many places as I possibly can and try to show you off.  It's completely shameless, but I do feel it's wrong to hoard all the cuteness to myself.  Plus, that wardrobe, it really does need an audience.

I kept saying it to your brother but he didn't listen: STOP GROWING.  STOP IT!  He's all big now, and while he's certainly as adorable as the day he was born, I also REALLY LIKE BABIES, so please stay round and cute and keep letting me haul you around while you hold onto my neck and coo.  FOREVER.

Everything,
Mama




0 comments:

Post a Comment