Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Crow's Nest

I think March came in like a lamb.  Which is TOTALLY okay with me.  The whole winter, frankly, was rather lamb-ish, which felt decadent like maybe we live somewhere other than Kansas - somewhere coastal, somewhere a bit more exotic.  Or, Texas.

Regardless, I'll take it.

The last couple of evenings, after putting Johnny to bed, Mr. Meat and Potatoes and I have sat out on what we like to call the "crows nest" - the upper deck in our back yard, and enjoyed the weather.  I got all tingly and reminiscent of last summer, our first summer in this house, how good it felt to be able to sit up there and look at our new neighborhood and imagine a long future of memories being made in that yard, with those neighbors, on that deck.


It seems like right now a lot, and nothing at the same time, is happening.

Spring is here.  St. Patrick's Day, March Madness, patios, and lighter clothing.  My favorite time of the year.  So there's a lot of sweeping up to do and preparation for the ensuing months of warm weather mayhem.  We'll spend this weekend reveling with our fellow Lawrencians on everyone's favorite alcoholiday, and we'll spend Sunday reveling at Sloanie B's third birthday party, though the cake may taste a little bittersweet since our friends will be permanently departing for Las Vegas in a few weeks.

We're going to start building a ground level deck and I've got some projects planned for in the house.  I'm going to hang some more shelving, regardless of the fact that hanging the floating shelves in our living room nearly cost us our marriage and sanity.

Mr. Meat and Potatoes is working 11 or 12 hours a day 5 days a week, and I'm working my regular job, plus numerous freelance gigs these days, so we barely have time to catch our breath between kid activities, home, work, and play.  

That is, except for an hour every evening, after the baby goes to bed, when we sit on the crow's nest, survey the land, and proclaim it good.

2 comments:

Amy said...

"The Crow's Nest" is one of my favorite pizza places in Beijing! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that you have your very own personal one in Lawrence. This makes me smile. Amy

Anonymous said...

The fort and the swing set are ready for new adventures in your back yard!

Post a Comment